New York

Welcome to our one-stop hub for name and gender change information. Find out how to get a legal name change where you live and update your name/gender on state and federal IDs and records.


​Last updated June 5, 2017

Name Change, Driver's License & Birth Certificate Policies in:

Federal IDs and Records:

New York Name Change Laws

To obtain a legal name change in New York, an applicant must submit a petition to the court. The applicant must publish notice at least once in a designated newspaper within 60 days of the court issued name change order. Individuals who have a felony conviction are subject to additional notice requirements. The publication requirement may be waived and the records may be sealed for the applicant’s safety, if approved by the court.  (N.Y. Civ. Rights Law § 60-65).

New York Drivers License Policy & Procedures

New York State Driver's License or Identification Card

In order to update the name and/or gender on a New York State Driver's License or ID card, the applicant must submit the following:

  1. new application for an ID
  2. For a name change, a court order certifying the name change
  3. For a gender marker change, a letter signed by a physician, psychologist, or psychiatrist certifying the applicant's gender identity

The New York Department of Motor Vehicles addresses name changes here.

New York State Benefits Card

For information on changing your name and/or gender on a New York State Benefits card, see instructions on the Sylvia Rivera Law Project website.

New York City Municipal ID Card

If you live in New York City, the NYC Municipal ID Card is available and free regardless of immigration status, and the gender marker can be issued with three options: male, female, or no gender listed. You just mark on the application your desired gender designation and that’s your gender on the ID! See more information on how to apply on SRLP's website.

New York Birth Certificate Laws

To amend the gender marker on a birth certificate from New York State, submit the following documents:

  1. Application for Correction of Certificate of Birth,
  2. Notarized Affidavit of Gender Error,
  3. Certified copy of the applicant's current birth certificate,
  4. Notarized affidavit from a physician (MD or DO), nurse practitioner, or physician assistant confirming that the applicant has undergone appropriate clinical treatment for gender transition,
  5. If also requesting a name change, an original or certified copy of the court ordered name change, and
  6. Any applicable fees.

Applications should be submitted to:
New York State Department of Health
Director of Vital Records
Attention: Guy Warner
Personal and Confidential
800 North Pearl Street 2nd Floor
Albany, NY 12204

For more information see the gender designation change instructions from the NY Department of Health. If you have any questions, contact Guy Warner, Director, Bureau of Vital Records directly at (518) 474-5245 or email


New York City

New York City issues birth certificates separately from New York State. To change the gender marker on a birth certificate from NYC, submit the following documents:

  1. A completed Birth Certificate Correction Application form;
  2. A signed and notarized Provider Affirmation/Affidavit of Gender Identity from one of the following US-licensed providers: Physician (MD or DO), Doctoral-level psychologist (PhD or PsyD in clinical or counseling psychology), Social worker (LMSW or LCSW), Physician assistant, Nurse practitioner, Marriage and family therapist, Mental health counselor, or Midwife;
  3. A Photocopy of current, signed, photo identification;
  4. If also applying for a name change on the birth certificate, an orginal court ordered name change; and
  5. A check or money order for $55 ($40 processing fee plus $15 fee for new certificate) made payable to the NYC Department of Health and Mental Hygiene.

Applications should be submitted to:

NYC Department of Health and Mental Hygiene
Office of Vital Records, Corrections Unit
125 Worth Street, Room 144, CN-4
New York, NY 10013
Attn: Edna Timbers

If you have any questions, please call 311 or email

Join Our Mailing List