Take Action for Transgender Equality
There are many ways that you can take action for transgender equality, working locally and on a federal level. Click here for ideas about how you can make a difference in your local community. Then stay informed about national issues. Click here for the latest news and action alerts.
For specific ideas about getting involved, drop us an e-mail.
To find your member of Congress, enter your zip code below.
Calling your member of Congress
Calling your Congressperson can be an effective way of letting her or him know that constituents are concerned about a particular issue. You may speak with a person or get voice mail. When you call:
- State who you are, including your name, that you are a constituent of that person’s district or state,and any other appropriate information (for example, if you are a physician calling about a medical issue or the leader of a transgender organization)
- Name the issue you are calling about (including the bill number or name of the legislation, if applicable), your position on it (are you for or against the proposed legislation), and a sentence or two only about why you have taken that position.
- State clearly what you wish your representative to do (for example, vote for or against a piece of legislation)
- Close by repeating your name and, if they ask for it, giving your address and phone number in case the office wishes to follow up with you
- Remember to be polite, clear and brief. It may help to write out what you plan to say ahead of time
Sample Phone Message: "Good afternoon, my name is Pat Nyugen and I’m a member of the City Transgender Alliance. I am calling to urge Senator Davis to be a co-sponsor of the Local Law Enforcement Hate Crimes Prevention Act and ensure that there are protections for transgender people. In our country, everyone should have the right to live without the fear of hate-motivated violence. Even if she is not a sponsor of the bill, I hope that she will vote for it. Again, this is Pat Nyugen. My address is 123 Main Street, Springfield, MO, 45678 and my telephone number is 987-654-3210. Thank you for your time."
Please use your own words!
There are many other ways to participate. Please contact us for ideas!