Welcome to our one-stop hub for name and gender change information. Find out how to get a legal name change where you live and update your name/gender on state and federal IDs and records.

Name Change, Driver's License & Birth Certificate Policies in:

Federal IDs and Records:

Texas Name Change Laws

To obtain a legal name change in Texas, an applicant must submit a petition to the court. No publication is required. The applicant must be fingerprinted and submit documentation of their criminal record. Individuals with a felony conviction may change their name if more than two years have passed since the end of the sentence and if not under probation or parole, or if the individual has been pardoned. Registered sex offenders must notify local law enforcement of the proposed name change. (Tex. Fam. Code Ann. §§45.101 to 45.106)

Texas Drivers License Policy & Procedures

In order to update the name and/or gender on a Texas ID, the applicant must submit (1) a document demonstrating the name change, such as a birth certificate or court order and/or (2) a court order certifying the gender change. The Texas Department of Public Safety addresses name and gender change here. Applicants must inform DPS of a legal name change within 30 days of the name change.

Texas Birth Certificate Laws

Texas does not have a specific gender marker provision in its birth certificate amendment statute (Tex. Health & Safety Code Ann. § 192.011). Texas Vital Statistics can issue an amended birth certificate upon receipt of a written request and a court order. Tex. Health & Safety Code Ann. § 192.011. To apply for an amended birth certificate, the applicant should submit an application to amend a certificate of birth, a certified copy of the court ordered gender and/or name change, and applicable fees ($15 for filing, $22 for birth certificate).  NOTE: Current case law and evidence indicates that Texas officials and judges are adverse to issuing the necessary court orders. 

Join Our Mailing List