ID Documents Center



Welcome to our one-stop hub for name and gender change information. Find out how to get a legal name change where you live and update your name/gender on state and federal IDs and records.


​Last updated June 5, 2017

Name Change, Driver's License & Birth Certificate Policies in:

Federal IDs and Records:

Illinois Name Change Laws

To obtain a legal name change in Illinois, an applicant must submit a petition to the court and the petition must be verified “by the affidavit of some credible person.” The applicant must publish notice of the petition in the newspaper for three consecutive weeks, starting at least six weeks before the hearing. The publication requirement is waived if the name change is for witness protection purposes. Individuals who are not currently incarcerated but have a felony conviction within the last ten years are not permitted to change their name. Registered sex offenders are not permitted to change their name. (735 Ill. Comp. Stat. Ann. 5/21-101 to 5/21-105)

Illinois Drivers License Policy & Procedures

In order to correct the name and/or gender on an Illinois ID, am applicant must must visit a Secretary of State facility to turn in your incorrect license. Along with providing acceptable identification for proof of identity, the applicant must also submit:

(1) If requesting a name change, a document such as a court order demonstrating the name change

(2) If requesting a gender marker change, any of the following documents:

  • Court Order reflecting the change in gender;
  • Medical Report Form;
  • Psychiatric Report Form;
  • Physician’s statement or;
  • Other acceptable documentation to indicate that a change has taken place or the customer is in the process of undergoing the gender change.

The Illinois Secretary of State's office addresses name and gender change here. Applicants must notify the Illinois Secretary of State of a legal name change within 10 days of the name change.

Illinois Birth Certificate Laws

The Illinois Division of Vital Records will issue a new birth certificate upon receipt of an affidavit by a physician stating that the physician "has performed an operation on a person, and that by reason of the operation the sex designation on such person's birth record should be changed. The State Registrar of Vital Records may make any investigation or require any further information he deems necessary." 410 ILCS 535/17. To apply for an amended birth certificate the applicant should follow the process outlined here.

Join Our Mailing List