While NCTE continues to press assertively for the almost 100 policy goals described in the Blueprint for Equality document, these 13 goals represent policies that are likely to be attained before the year is over.
Many of these goals reflect a common theme: the Obama Administration has, and should use, broad authority to prohibit anti-LGBT discrimination by entitites that receive federal funds, whether in employment, health care, housing, or education.
- The President should issue an Executive Order prohibiting discrimination based on gender identity and sexual orientation by federal contractors.
- The Equal Employment Opportunity Commission should issue enforcement guidelines for gender identity discrimination in the workplace.
- The Department of Labor should issue guidelines for equal treatment of transgender people in all federal jobs programs, such as Job Corps and One-Stop Career Centers.
- The Social Security Administration should update its gender change and other policies affecting transgender people, and remove gender data from all remaining data matching programs.
- The Department of Health and Human Services should adopt regulations prohibiting discrimination based on gender identity and sexual orientation in all federally-funded health care facilities and programs.
- The Department of Education should issue Title IX guidelines to ensure that transgender students can fully be themselves at school.
- The Department of Housing and Urban Development should issue guidelines clarifying that homeless shelters must provide all persons with access to shelter consistent with their gender identity.
- The National Center for Health Statistics shall release Model State Vital Statistics legislation that includes modernized standards for gender change on birth certificates.
- The U.S. Senate should pass the Employment Non-Discrimination Act (ENDA).
- The U.S. Congress should pass immigration reform that protects LGBT families and asylum-seekers.
- The U.S. Congress should pass an LGBT-inclusive Violence Against Women Act.
- The President should appoint highly qualified transgender people to key positions throughout the Administration.
- NCTE will support advancement of equality through new laws and policies at the state level.
Chip in now and sign-up for our e-mail list to help push these goals forwad.